Sunday, August 12, 2012

May the Light Shine

Nicolas was our night askari (guard) in Kenya. Tall, lanky, crooked teeth, brilliant smile. His job, guard the house—from 5pm to 6am. He sat in a tiny little shack, tiny, large enough to fit one chair. No light in the shack, but he still devoured any reading material I gave him; newspapers, magazines, books. 

I bought him once a solar lantern. It charged from the sun, and then when the power ran out, you can crank up the power with a handle. A few days later I noted that it was gone. When I asked him he explained that his home has no power, so he brought it there. Makes sense. 

Another time I gave him an LL Bean blue zip bag with a little handle, the kind you put toiletries in when you travel. When I presented the bag, he was delighted, said it was perfect for carrying his bible. And so he did. I would see him walking off in the morning, after a long night in the shack, carrying his little satchel, containing his bible.

Every evening I would bring him tea in a thermos. We’d check in. How’s the day? How’s the weather? When I asked how he was he would say ‘today, I have seen nothing bad.’ Translation: I am well. It was such a great response that always stopped me in my tracks. There it is. My day is fine. I have not seen anything bad. I struggle for food, water, I work the night shift. But today, I have seen nothing bad.

When I moved houses he was on leave; at home in Western Kenya. I did not get to say farewell, which was probably for the best, I am not certain what Nicolas would have done if he saw me crying.  I wrote him a message though telling him I was leaving. He wrote back:

"Hi,may light shines wherever ur.I still in house I never go home.your moving is my stress i'll now lost my friends.Pliz do not forget me,Sodger Nicholas."